The EB-1A Green Card is an employment visa for individuals demonstrating extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, athletics, education, or business through continued national or international recognition in their field. To qualify for this type of Green Card, individuals must meet at least three of the ten potential criteria or provide evidence of a one-time high achievement such as a Pulitzer Prize, Oscar, or Olympic Medal. These applicants must also be prepared to show proof that they plan to continue to work in their area of expertise in the U. S. once their visa is approved.
The primary benefit of the EB-1A visa is that you can self-petition. The law doesn’t require sponsorship from a U.S. employer or labor certification to apply. In fact, recently, USCIS issued a news alert encouraging employment-based applicants who are eligible to transfer the basis of their adjustment of status application to EB-1A or EB-2 if eligible because there is an extremely high number of employment-based immigrant visas available in those categories.
Are You Eligible for an EB1-A Green Card?
To be eligible for the EB-1A, you must demonstrate that you have sustained national or international commendation and that your achievements are recognized in your field of expertise. You must either show evidence of a one-time achievement (major internationally recognized award) or a minimum of three of the ten criteria below (or comparable proof if any of the criteria below does not apply to your specific field):
- Proof of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized excellence prizes or awards
- Proof of your membership to associations in the field that require outstanding achievement of their members
- Proof of published material about you in major trade or professional publication or other significant media source
- Proof that you were asked to judge (individually or on a panel) the work of others
- Proof of your original scientific, scholarly, athletic, artistic, or business-related contributions of major significance to your field
- Proof of authoring scholarly articles published in a professional or major trade or major media publication
- Proof that your work was or is displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases
- Proof of performance in a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations
- Proof that you garner high wages or other significantly high remuneration compared to others in your field
- Proof of your commercial performing arts successes (if applicable)
What Types of Applicants Might Qualify for the EB-1A?
An experienced immigration attorney often has success filing EB-1A visa applications for individuals in the following occupations and others:
- Athletes such as tennis players, Olympic swimmers, runners, soccer players, baseball players, and rugby players
- Fashion designers
- Interior designers
- Startup founders, including software and biotech companies
- Successful business executives
- Music producers and composers
Meet with an Experienced Immigration Lawyer Today
If you think you might qualify for the EB-1A visa or have questions about qualifying, contact an experienced Maryland immigration attorney today for a consultation. They can evaluate your background and achievements in more detail to see if you qualify and what steps you need to take. If they believe you will be eligible, they can help you provide evidence, complete your documentation, and guide you through the entire process.