Do I have to go to court in order to get a divorce?

The short answer to that is yes, you will most likely have to go to court to get a divorce. Depending on your grounds for divorce, you may only have to go once or you may have to go several times.

What are some tips for success at a USCIS interview?

A United States citizenship and immigration services interview can be a very stressful situation. The most important thing we think you can do to prepare is take a deep breath and try to relax, and make sure you have good communication with your attorney to get through and make sure that you answer all the questions thoroughly and accurately.

What are some of the most common business immigration mistakes you see committed by employers?

One of the most common business immigration mistakes that we see employers make is not understanding the different types of business immigration visas that are available. For example, there are certain visas that are available for employers who want to transfer employees from their offices abroad to the US. There are other types of visas that are available for employees who would have a specialized degree in a special field.

How do I determine the best visa category for me and my loved ones?

The United States has many different visa categories, which can be very complicated at times to determine. It depends on who is sponsoring you and whether you're going through family-based sponsorship for your green card or employment-based sponsorship.

What happens if my stepchild’s biological parent contests the adoption?

If a biological parent can test an adoption, typically there are going to be roadblocks to completing that adoption. Most of the time, the courts will require consents from both biological parents before an adoption can be finalized.

Who will get the house in the divorce?

That will depend on numerous factors, some of which can be quite complicated. One of the things we look at in determining who will get the house is who is on the title. And, when was the house was purchased? Before the marriage or after the marriage?

How long does a divorce take in Maryland?

The length of time it can take to get divorced, can depend on several factors, including your grounds for divorce. For example, there is one ground for divorce in Maryland called a mutual consent divorce. In that type of divorce, it can go very quickly, because both parties have agreed to divorce.

How much will I have to pay in alimony?

Alimony payments require an analysis of several different factors. For example, the court will take into account the length of the marriage, the financial situation of both parties, and whether or not one or the other party contributed to the breakdown of the marriage.

Is an annulment the same things as a divorce?

An annulment is not the same thing as a divorce. A divorce in Maryland requires that you have grounds for divorce, or a reason why basically that you're getting divorced. An annulment is filed when the marriage is considered void at its inception, meaning that there never really was a valid marriage.

What do I have to disclose in my divorce?

Once you file for divorce, you go through a period of what's called discovery, where opposing parties can request information from each other. One of the top pieces of information that you will probably have to exchange is financial information.

Won’t a prenuptial agreement kill the romance I have with my fiancé?

A prenuptial agreement will not kill the romance in your relationship, in fact, it could do just the opposite. We view prenuptial agreements as a way to protect your future spouse. In the event, there is a breakdown in the relationship. Parties that have a prenup can avoid attacking each other when it comes to a divorce or separation.

Can I modify a child support or child custody order?

You can modify a child custody or child support order at any time when there is a material change in circumstances in your finances or the child's other parent's finances. Also, a custody order could be modified if there is a change in circumstances that affects the best interest of the child.

Does each spouse get 50 percent of the marital property in Maryland?

In Maryland, the division of property is not necessarily 50-50. That is because Maryland is considered an equitable distribution state. It is not 50-50 across the board. The court will take into consideration various factors to determine what is fair in the division of assets.

Child support stopped coming from my ex. What can I do?

If child support payments suddenly stop there could be numerous reasons why. One, there could be just an error in the system. So, you may want to first try contacting child support administration, and if it is truly a situation where the other parent has stopped paying support, you may also be able to file in court for what's called a contempt action.