Non Immigrant Visas

Foreign nationals who want to enter the United States for a temporary period time and/or for a specified purpose can apply for a non-immigrant visa. Individuals who fit this category may include tourists, those with medical emergencies seeking treatment, those who want to conduct business temporarily, certain temporary workers, students and many others. There are strict criteria for approval of non-immigrant visas, and the assistance of a skilled immigration attorney can heighten your chances of a successful outcome.

At Law Offices of Tina Sharma, we have extensive experience with all types of non-immigrant visas. We understand the challenges foreign nationals go through in obtaining temporary visas to enter the U.S., and we put our experience to work to make the process as smooth and seamless as possible. We also understand that each circumstance is unique, and we take the time to thoroughly analyze your case and determine the right visa category to successfully accomplish your goals.

There are numerous non-immigrant visas available to foreign nationals. Some of the most common include:

  • Working Professional (H1-B) Visas: Professionals in specialty occupations may qualify for an H1-B temporary worker visa. The H1-B visa is subject to annual caps and they are generally available for up to six years. Extensions beyond six years may be available in certain circumstances, such as when applying for an employment-based immigrant visa.
  • Academic Student (F-1) Visas: Students who want to enroll in a full-time academic course of study and can show financial self-sufficiency during the time they will be in the U.S. can apply for an F-1 student visa. The course of study must meet certain criteria, and spouses and children may accompany the applicant by applying for an F-2 visa. There is also an F-3 category designated specifically for foreign students from Canada and Mexico.
  • Visitor (B-1/B-2) Visas: Those entering the U.S. temporarily for business, pleasure or medical treatment may apply for a B category visitor visa. B-1 (business) visa holders may receive admittance for up to one year with one six month extension available. B-2 (tourist) visa holders may be admitted for up to six months with one six month extension available.
  • Trader and Investor (E-1/E-2) Visas: The Treaty Trader (E1) and Treaty Investor (E2) visas are for foreign nationals who are coming from countries that maintain a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S. E category visa holders are granted an initial admittance period of two years with unlimited two year extensions available so long as the individual continues to meet the visa requirements.
  • Intra-Company Managerial Transfer (L-1) Visas: International companies with a subsidiary, parent, branch or affiliate office in the U.S. may bring their employees to work in their U.S. office using the L-1 visa. The L-1A is for executives and managers, and the L-1B is for personnel with specialized knowledge.
  • Professional Athletic and Artistic Performance (P) Visas: Foreign athletes, entertainers and performing artists may enter the U.S. on a P category visa. The P-1 visa is for athletes and entertainers, the P-2 visa is for performing artists, and the P-3 visa is for performers, teachers or coaches of a culturally unique program.

It is important to understand that non-immigrant visas allow only temporary entry into the United States and do not provide a direct path to permanent residency or citizenship. As such, approval is largely contingent on your ability to show (through extensive documentation) financial sufficiency for the duration of your stay in the U.S. as well as strong ties to your home country, and thus a strong likelihood of returning to your home country before your visa expires.

At Law Offices of Tina Sharma, we have successfully processed numerous non-immigrant visas, and we understand what it takes to gain approval in each category. If you or a family member wants to apply for a temporary visa to enter the U.S., it is important to review your case and determine if you are likely to be approved before paying the non-refundable application fees. To schedule a personalized consultation with our office, contact us today at (202) 329-6556.

Law Offices of Tina Sharma provides skilled assistance with non-immigrant visas throughout the country including in the Washington, D.C. metro area, Virginia and Maryland; including the communities of Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas, Annandale, Springfield, Herndon, Reston, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, College Park, Germantown, Frederick, Hyattsville, Bowie, Annapolis, Fairfax County, Montgomery County and Prince George’s County.

Contact our office today.